Restore Oakland Inc. Development Manager
Restore Oakland Inc. (RO) is seeking a bright, dedicated person with a passion for racial, economic, and gender justice to be our Development Manager. The Development Manager will join a growing team at Restore Oakland Inc., a new 501c3 organization born from the visionary Restore Oakland project that created the nation’s first ever space designed to house healing justice circles. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven, organized, and friendly team member who is ready to play a leading role in resourcing our organization.
Reporting to the RO Program Manager, the RO Development Manager is a key member of a team that will be responsible for leading the organization's fundraising efforts. Our ideal candidate is a strategic and mature thinker that understands the need for short term and long term goals and victories, values aligned resource mobilization strategies, practices solutions-oriented approaches to dealing with conflicts, and is a strong team player.
About Restore Oakland, Inc.
RO leads with organizing and amplifies the impact of each social justice and movement organization within the Restore Oakland space. The community center is home to Cause Justa Just Cause, the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, and the Restaurant Opportunities Centers Bay Area chapter. RO partners with each of these organizations to provide community organizing opportunities, hands-on job training, restorative justice circles, and housing rights services - all in one space.
In addition to being a force multiplier, our unique programming draws upon the traditional wisdom of our Indigenous community to transform our local economic and justice systems. RO unites our community by providing free to low cost meeting space, organizing grassroots power to divest from policing and prisons, and promoting access to healing justice circles and restorative justice practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Institutional and Foundation Giving
- Write, review, and edit grant proposals and letters of intent for foundations following funding guidelines, parameters, and procedures.
- Maintain a calendar of foundation deadlines for application and reporting.
- Research institutional funder prospects to support Restore Oakland Inc’s projects and programs
- Build and maintain strong relationships between Directors, Program Officers and foundation representatives.
- Prepare reports on foundation funding, including both past and prospective funding.
- Manage grant agreements and monitor compliance with grant agreements.
- Maintain records and database related to foundation giving.
- Support and prepare RO staff and board of directors to engage and fundraise from institutional funders when and where appropriate.
- Support partner organizations in building fundraising capacity and engage in collaborative fundraising when opportunities emerge.
- Manage fundraising events, including anniversary celebrations.
- Oversee ongoing implementation of a distributive fundraising model, including support of staff, board, and volunteers engaging in peer-to-peer fundraising (e.g., house parties, online fundraising, etc.).
- Identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with individual donors
- Process individual donations and provide appropriate receipts and thank you letters.
- Maintain donor records in partnership with the Finance and Operations department.
Supervision and Management
- Supervise consultants and potential future staff and ensure fundraising and constituent management systems support continuous improvement in donor and member engagement.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- 5 or more years experience writing successful grant proposals.
- 3 or more years experience in individual donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Knowledge and experience in working with board members and volunteers to fundraise.
- Ability to prioritize projects, meet deadlines, manage several projects simultaneously, and work well under pressure.
- Computer literacy and experience with fundraising databases (Neon preferred).
- Knowledge of healing justice, economic justice, and criminal and juvenile justice reentry issues, challenges, and best practices, particularly around economic gaps and needs preferred.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups including internal and external audiences.
- Ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
- Understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals/grants.
- Ability to work independently as well as participate on a team.
- Disciplined self-starter who can set and achieve goals.
- Experience working in a community center or nonprofit setting preferred
- $65,000-$72,000 depending on experience.
- RO offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, life insurance, vacation and sick time.
How to Apply
Please submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete applications must include:
- A cover letter including a description of your interest in the position and qualifications.
- A writing sample relevant to the role of a Development Manager
- A resume